The educational staff presentation “Response to the Active Shooter—Studying Yesterday, Preparing for Today and Living Tomorrow”—is a multi-media presentation designed for administrators, teachers and school staff. The information contained in the block of instruction is the most edifying, and up-to-the-minute training available on this topic. The class provides the most progressive life-saving information currently available for educating school staffs in how to recognize, prevent and react to school shooters, and active shooter situations. The presentation is approximately 4 hours in length and can be taught on school premises where employees work. All school jurisdictions have in-depth school safety plans in place which dictate the conduct and actions of employees should an incident occur. However, most jurisdictions make the error of neglecting to give in-depth, instruction that resonates with individual classroom-level teachers. This course provides the audience with a massive amount of subject-related instruction that will enhance their mindset, preparation and training should a tragedy occur in their school. The training and instruction, which the school staff receives, will dovetail seamlessly with present-day law enforcement tactics and training. It stands to reason that a community will strive to achieve a high degree of flawless cooperation between their law enforcement and educational assets should a school shooting event occur. This course of instruction will bridge the gap to ensure optimum performance. An active shooter incident on a school campus is one of the most traumatizing, and shocking events that can affect a community. The “Response to the Active Shooter” presentation will prepare school staffs should this more frequently occurring tragedy happen in your community.
Some of the topics covered
- Historical overview of active shooter situations
- Police lessons learned from school shootings
- School “Armed Intruder” procedures
- School priorities during an active shooter situation
- Police priorities during an active shooter situation
- School and Police priorities during a barricade situation
- What the educator and other school staff employee should expect and how they should react to an active shooter incident.
- An overview of Multiple Terrorist Sieges.
- Critical incident overview of Columbine HS shooting
- Critical incident overview of Virginia Tech shooting
- Memorandums of Understanding
- School lockdown procedures
- Establishing a “Combat Survival Mindset”
- Recommended actions for school staffs.
- 5 Stages of an Active Shooter Incident.
- Choosing and managing the School Resource Officer
- Conduct and actions of custodians and facility management
- Managing Students with Cell Phones
- Actions in the “breached” classroom.
- The School and Police Partnership
- “Things to do” besides panicking.
- Situational awareness for the classroom teacher
Training for Educational Staffs
© SCHOOL VIOLENCE SOLUTIONS 2010, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED